About Fire Door Safety Week
A door’s a door’s a door, right?
No, a fire door is an engineered safety device.
Fire doors are a crucial part of the passive fire protection of every commercial, public and multiple occupancy building. They save lives and property.
There are about 3 million new fire doors bought and installed every year in the UK, the vast majority made from timber. Fire doors are often the first line of defence in a fire and their correct specification, maintenance and management can be the difference between life and death for building occupants. However, they remain a significant area of neglect, often the first thing to be downgraded on a specification and mismanaged throughout their service life, propped open, damaged and badly maintained.
Consequently, we have created Fire Door Safety Week:
- To raise awareness of the critical role of fire doors, drawing attention to specific issues such as poor installation and maintenance.
- To encourage building owners and users to check the operation and condition of their fire doors and to report those that aren’t satisfactory.
- To link together the initiatives of many organisations with common interests in the fire door and passive fire protection industries.
- To engage and educate people, helping the whole building industry and every property owner to understand the correct specification, supply, installation, operation, inspection and maintenance of fire doors.
Supported by a wide range of organisations, Fire Door Safety Week is the brainchild of the British Woodworking Federation, BWF-CERTIFIRE Scheme and Fire Door Inspection Scheme (FDIS).
How can you get involved?
- Upload our logo and put a link to Fire Door Safety Week on your website.
- Tweet about Fire Door Safety Week or publicise your support on other social media - don't forget to use the hashtag #FireDoorSafetyWeek.
- Hold a free CPD session for local businesses about fire door safety.
- Open up your factory and invite your local MP to see what you do to promote fire door safety.
- Use our videos to raise awareness among your staff or building users.
- Carry out an inspection of your fire doors, or get a FDIS Certificated Inspector to help.
- Run a communications campaign or leaflet drop to tell your tenants about fire door safety.
- Display posters showing three simple fire door safety tips.
- Spend a day in your local builder’s merchants giving buyers advice on third-party certificated fire doors and the correct components.
- Distribute copies of our free fact cards on all aspects of fire door specification.
- Launch a new product or service that helps more people specify, buy, install or maintain their fire doors.
- Send an email to all your customers saying you support Fire Door Safety Week and letting them know about this website…
So many options, so much scope! What will you choose to do?
This site is managed by the British Woodworking Federation Ltd (BWF) | The Building Centre, 26 Store Street, London, WC1E 7BT | The BWF is a company limited by guarantee registered in England and Wales under number 5817473